1) How long have you been in CF?
July will be 9 years for me.
2) How did you come across CF?
Before CF I was a long distance trial runner. I did ultra-marathons for about 10 years. Mostly 50K, but I also did 6- 50 Mile races. I knew some people that did CF that were able to do long distance running without as much training as I was implementing. I was pretty trashed from all the running and decided I needed to take a break. CrossFit allowed me to get the intensity without the long hard hours running. I miss those runs, but my body is much happier with the CF workouts.
3) What are your favorite movements/lifts? What are your least favorite? Any recent PRs you would like to mention?
Anything with double-unders, squat cleans and muscle up. For PR’s, I guess maybe when I beat Abby at FNL in the open last year with deadlifts and HSPU’s. She claimed to be sick, but…I like to think that she just got beat.
4) What is one goal you would like to set for yourself regarding CF?
You asked for one but I have a few.
1. Show up and try to do my best each time I walk in the gym. I do like to bitch and complain a lot, but its all in good fun.
2. Encourage others to do the same and press through their fears and anxieties when it comes to some of the movements.
3. Hold others to the movement standards as much as possible. Its also all in good fun, but its also about doing these workouts safely, correctly and honestly.
5) Do you have a favorite girl or hero WOD?
I like all the girls 😉 but I do love Grace.
6) Where are you from?
La Crescenta, California.
7) If you could have one super power, what would it be and why??
The Hulk. To be able to beat David Tuttle in a WOD when he is at his best…not injured. I’ve pretty much got him on double unders… 🙁
8) If you were granted three wishes, what would they be?
1. To continue to find joy in the mundane and ordinary.
2. To be surrounded by people who are grateful and gracious in the way they live and the way they treat others.
3. Another 3 wishes would be my final wish.
9) If you could host a dinner party with any three people, dead or alive, who would you have attend?
1. Neil Pert-Best drummer of all time
2. Prince-Best guitar player of all time
3. David Bowie-Most eclectic and transformative artist of all time.
10) Share one thing that people in the gym would not know about you.
Every Tuesday I do a “No chew Tuesday”. I take a day off from basically chewing food. I do a few things; I drink a bullet proof coffee for breakfast (Kerry gold butter, MCT oil, collagen powder), I drink bone broth with an avocado, cilantro, MCT oil and salt (blended) for most of the day and then a green smoothie that has spinach, lemon juice, avocado and mint. It gives my digestive system a 24 hour period to rest. I do the green smoothie and the bullet proof coffee every day. I also bring my lunch every day which makes eating consistently and better much easier.
11) How has CF changed your life?
It’s about the connection I have with our community. I love our people. I have been a member of other Cross fit gyms and ours is by far is the most welcoming and has the best coaching. I am really grateful for being brought into this beautiful family. Also, I am a fan of CrossFit’s founder Greg Glassman. His talks on excellence and what it takes to run a gym are really good and have helped me be better in my business and overall outlook on life. I encourage everyone to listen to his stuff.
12) Would you like to give any shout outs to those in the gym who have encouraged you or inspired you?
For sure, first to all the coaches that work so hard to train us and put up with our bitching and complaining. Zeus, Corey, Jolene, Carlos and Eric. Especially want to say thank you to Corey for always mixing things up with “constantly varied, high intensity functional workouts”.
To some of my 8:15 peeps…Tuttle (is there a movement this guy isn’t good at?), Abby (yes I know that the woman’s RX does not qualify for men’s RX), Sabra (gym wife/life partner), Christina (mathematician/salt of the earth), Colin (works harder than most and always has a kind word to say), Shawn (we can all set our clocks on her arrival), Kat (no one works harder than Kat), Riley (She’s sweet, sassy and will crush you in most workouts), Katie (drives as far as I do and crushes all of us), Mariana (she’s so consistent with getting to the gym), Rochelle (super mom, momma bear, gym mom, overall rock star). To all the PM peeps too, there are a lot. Love you guys too!