Congratulations David R.!
1) How long have you been in CF?
I began in August of 2016 so I’ll be going on about 6 months now. I mostly attend the super early 5:30 class but I’m often around the 7:00, 8:15, and 4:00 classes when I don’t have school.
2) How did you come across CF?
I had heard about it and seen some clips from the 2015 Games. I was into running and fitness for about a year but wasn’t seeing the kind of results I was looking for. I was introduced to Olympic lifting and really wanted to get better at it.
3) What are your favorite movements/lifts? What are your least favorite? Any recent PRs you would like to mention?
I really like pull-ups, they are super hard but they make me feel strong. Not the biggest fan of burpee-box-jump-overs, those get me so incredibly winded and out of breath. My best PRs to date were hitting a 300lb deadlift and squat, as well as getting a 205lb clean and jerk during barbell club.
4) What is one goal you would like to set for yourself regarding CF?
I would like to get better at performing Rx movements and weight. In a week of workouts I’ll maybe be able to Rx 1-2 WODs and I’d like to get to a higher level. I’d also love to get that elusive first muscle up that’s been taunting me for over a month.
5) Do you have a favorite girl or hero WOD?
Annie is one of the girl benchmarks I do often because I think it’s the most simple. My first ever Crossfit WOD ever (before I even officially started) was Murph so there’s a soft spot in my heart for him.
6) Where are you from?
I grew up right here in RSM.
7) If you could have any super hero power, what would it be?
Totally gonna nerd out here, but I’d want to control the force, being a Jedi sounds like fun.
8) If you could take part in any moment in history, which one would you pick and why?
I would have loved to have been on the Apollo missions and been a part of man’s journey to the moon.
9) If you could host a dinner party with any three people, dead or alive, who would you have attend?
Mel Brooks, Leonard Nimoy, and Leslie Nielson. I feel like it would be a hilarious combination.
10) Share one thing that people in the gym would not know about you.
Currently I’m going to school to study mechanical engineering, but before that I had been studying acting and theatre. I used to dance ballet and sing show-tunes. I’m sure anyone that’s been in a class with me can guess this about me though.
11) How has CF changed your life?
It’s made me view strength in a new light. I’ve been a tall, skinny dude all my life and never considered myself a strength athlete, but after sticking with CF I’ve discovered how much I actually can do.
12) Would you like to give any shout outs to those in the gym who have encouraged you or inspired you?
Coach Dan has been a huge inspiration and mentor for me. I attend a lot of different classes so there are a metric-butt-load of people who I look up to. I love my fellow 6:00 BB club peeps. I always enjoy working out with Haley, Dom, and Kerrie because we always just let loose and dance.