Congratulations Ashley P.!
1) How long have you been in CF?
2) How did you come across CF?
My roommate Haley would come back from Reform every morning and tell me about her workouts. My best friend had been going to CrossFit for awhile and kept trying to get me to try it but I was always too nervous and intimidated. Finally she signed me up for the free trial without telling me and I got the email from Eric asking to schedule my first class! So I did the trial and then on-ramp and then got hooked and committed.
3) What are your favorite movements/lifts? What are your least favorite? Any recent PRs you would like to mention?
I’m not sure what a favorite movement is. I like doing anything when I can see myself improving at it. Anything can become my favorite each time I do it a little bit better than the last time. Least favorite is for sure wallballs. And then the bike. I recently conquered the 24” box! I also broken 100 for clean and jerk which has been a hard movement for me to get the hang of.
4) What is one goal you would like to set for yourself regarding CF?
My next goal is definitely getting double unders. I’ve been able to string a few together and have been practicing but not up to doing them in a workout yet. I feel the day coming……
5) Do you have a favorite girl or hero WOD?
It’s strange but I’d have to say Jerry. Not because I like it (I hate running) but because it’s the only hero I’ve done Rx and finished, after which I felt so awesome.
6) Where are you from?
Callaway, Nebraska. Population 600.
7) If you could have any super hero power, what would it be?
Flying. Cape optional. Possibilities are endless.
8) If you won the lottery, what is the first item you would purchase?
Probably a personal jet. There are so many people around the country I care about but don’t get to see enough. Down with airline prices. More likely, I’d invest in changing the world.
9) If you could host a dinner party with any three people, dead or alive, who would you have attend?
Jesus, Idina Menzel and Carrie Fisher. For sure a party full of laughs.
10) Share one thing that people in the gym would not know about you.
I love musical theatre, good stories and witty humor.
11) How has CF changed your life?
I’ve never been at all athletic. Before I started CrossFit I was in season in life where I’d try to exercise but would end up super discouraged most mornings I didn’t get up and do it or didn’t really push myself. I felt like I couldn’t be athletic. I’m for sure not the best in class, but every class I have this underlying sense of the fact that I’m doing something I never thought I could. Often, I leave class feeling like I can do anything. Being able to start my day with that type of encouragement has been awesome for my life. Even if I feel like I accomplish nothing with the rest of my day, the day has already been conquered. I’ve lived with emotional disregulation and suicidal ideation for a lot of my life. This past year I’ve felt the most in control of my emotions than I’ve ever felt and I am very thankful for the routine, encouragement and endorphins that CrossFit has given me in contribution to my recovery journey. It has helped me remember I can do hard things and succeed.
12) Would you like to give any shout outs to those in the gym who have encouraged you or inspired you?
Haley Veturis for always being so encouraging and all my other 7am peeps!